FAQ's - Nutrition
|Customer Service||Nutrition||Product Benefits||Suggested Use|
- What are the ingredients that make Extend Nutrition products so effective?
- Do other products contain these ingredients?
- In what way are Extend Nutrition products better than other low-carb and sugar-free foods?
- Is the product kosher?
- What is the supervising agency that certifies Extend Nutrition products as Kosher?
- Is there caffeine in the Extend Nutrition chocolate products and how much?
- Is there Potassium in your shakes and how much?
- How do you count the net carbs in Extend Nutrition products?
- What is the glycemic index and glycemic load of Extend Nutrition products and why is it important?
- Are Extend Nutrition products gluten free?
- Why do you use Spenda (sucralose)? I heard it is bad for you.
- Why don’t you use Stevia? It’s all natural.
- What is Chocolate Liquor? Is it alcohol?
- Does the glycerin in Extend Nutrition products contain animal fat?
- Is the soy flour used whole grain or enriched?
- Milk protein and whey protein are ingredients in some of the Extend Nutrition products. How lactose free are Extend Nutrition products?
- I’m in recovery, what is sugar alcohol? Will it affect my recovery?
In Extend Bars, Crisps, Shakes and Drizzles, the uncooked cornstarch is combined with specific amounts of protein and fat to further slow the conversion to blood sugar. As a result, this unique combination – patented by Dr. Francine Kaufman, a physician specializing in metabolism – converts to blood sugar more gradually than any other product and is the only one clinically proven to help stabilize blood sugar levels for up to 9 hours.
Unfortunately, other low-carb and sugar-free foods don’t contain sufficient long-acting carbohydrates to help maintain a healthy blood sugar level throughout the day or night like Extend Nutrition products. So within a couple of hours your blood sugar drops, triggering your hunger and leaving you susceptible to episodes of low blood sugar. And many low-carb products are also high in fat and cholesterol and contain trans-fats, so they are not particularly good for your heart.
The unique formula in Extend Nutrition products is patented for its ability to break down more gradually than other foods and release nutrients into your system more slowly. This slow conversion helps keep your blood sugar from rising too quickly, and continues to supply your body with the blood sugar fuel it needs to help prevent low blood sugar and keep your appetite under control for up to 9 hours. Because Extend Nutrition products contain no cholesterol or trans-fats, it’s also deliciously heart healthy.
|Extend Nutrition Product||GI||GL|
|Extend Nutrtion Delight Bar - Peanut||32||4|
|Extend Nutrition Delight Bar - Chocolate||41||5|
|Extend Nutrition Delight Bar - Apple Cinnamon||33||4|
For perspective the following ranges are considered to be low, medium and high for the glycemic index and glycemic load.
The glycemic testing on Extend Nutrition products was done by the Human Nutrition Unit at the University of Sydney in Australia -- the leader in glycemic index research and testing for over 10 years. During that time they have determined GI values for more than 350 foods. In the testing, glucose was used as the reference food, which has a glycemic index of 100.
- All the ingredients are gluten-free.
- Products were tested for gluten content using testing protocols and test systems recognized and/or approved by the following organizations: GFCO (Gluten Free Certification Organization) and CODEX and is used by the Food Allergen Research and Resource Program from the University of Nebraska (considered to be the premier source for food allergen information worldwide).
- We use the ELISA RIDASCREEN® Gliadin and the RIDASCREEN® FAST Gliadin that employs the R5-antibody which is able to efficiently quantify proalmins from wheat, barley, and rye at a level of 100%.
- Our test results and test methods are in compliance with the US FDA's proposed rule for Gluten Free Foods (On Jan. 22, 2007 the FDA posted to the Federal Register a Proposed Rule for Labeling Gluten-Free Labeling of Foods (Docket No. 2005N-0279)
- Our test results and test methods are in compliance with Canadian, European, Australian standards for Gluten-Free foods.
No. Extend Nutrition products are made with vegetable sources for glycerin, there is no animal content in the glycerin used in Extend Bars, Crisps, Shakes or Drizzles. The glycerin used in Extend Nutrition products is, in fact, kosher!
No. Sugar alcohol is not a liquor or alcohol of sort. Neither is it sugar. Sugar alcohol is a form of sweetener such as Maltitol, most frequently used in food products that digest and convert to glucose more slowly than sucrose (table sugar). Maltitol does not spike your blood sugar and is much healthier for your system.